CanaQuest is focused on the drug discovery and development of next-generation targeted therapeutics within the endocannabinoid system and specific brain receptors. The Company intends to treat neurological conditions, such as anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder “PTSD”, including addiction.
The Company’s business model is to develop formulated drug candidates, backed by science, and pre-clinical & clinical trials for medicinal purposes. CanaQuest is looking to partner with a manufacturer that has global pharmaceutical production capabilities, expertise, including distribution networks. This model enables the Company to process and distribute anywhere in the world, subject to being compliant with the respective country’s regulations.
Working with Dr. Steve Laviolette, a professor and neuroscientist, at Western University, who has over 20 years of research experience in the field of mental health and cannabinoids and who oversees a team of 13 scientists, gives CanaQuest a tremendous competitive advantage. Successful pre-clinical trial results have set the stage for human trials in pursuit of pharmaceutical drugs. Clinical Trial opportunities are significant as several cannabinoid researchers, in the Canadian university sector, have fully funded grants awarded to undertake cannabinoid research including clinical trials.
The Company has identified the Rx regulatory pathway for a Pharma drug candidate, targeting neurological conditions – initiating Human Clinical Trials. It is following the FDA regulatory pathway developed by Jazz Pharmaceuticals (formerly GW Pharma) for the approval of Epidiolex.
Pre-clinical Trial & Scientific Partners
Pre-clinical trials completed for Rx CQ-001 and Rx CQ-002
– 14 scientists
- Recipient of numerous national and international research awards;
- Dr. Laviolette’s research team has made numerous discoveries related to how the mammalian brain is influenced by chronic drug exposure and how signaling through the brain’s cannabinoid and opioid systems can control emotional processing in specific brain circuits;
- Research from Dr. Laviolette’s team has been published in the top tier of neuroscience and psychiatry journals in the world.
Clinical Trial & Scientific Partners
University of Montreal
Q3 2022 – initiating pre-approved clinical trial (Phase II, randomized, triple-blind crossover feasibility study) for efficacy and dosage of our cannabinoid based formulated drug-candidates, CQ-001 and CQ-002, for the treatment of Cannabis Use Disorder “CUD”.
Q3 2022 – initiating clinical trial (Phase II, double-blind feasibility trial, 30 patients) to further refine efficacy and dosage of CQ-001 for humans.
Ontario Brain Institute
Q2 2022 – EpLink https://eplink.ca/, the Epilepsy Research Program funded by the Ontario Brain Institute, is conducting a study using rodent models to establish dosing requirements for CQ-001. These results will set the stage for clinical trials to treat refractory epileptic syndromes (high efficacy, less dosage, reduced negative side effects).
Q4 2022 – study results will define dosage of CQ-001 for clinical trial (Phase II/III, double-blind trial, 60 patients) and will facilitate a submission to Health Canada and subsequently, the US-FDA for a new drug.
Hydrx Farms https://hydrx.ca/facilities
Q3 2022 – our Contract Manufacturer, GMP and clinical trial compliance, is completing the SOPs for the Clinical Trial Application process required for the approved and funded clinical trial at the University of Montreal (Cannabis Use Disorder – efficacy, dosage, and safety, 24 patients), for evaluating CanaQuest’s CQ-001 and CQ-002 drug candidates.
Pre-approved and Pending Clinical Trials
Veterinarian & Scientific Partners
Pre-approved program & Government Grant, MITACS
– anxiety & pain, Veterinary Drug Candidates based on CQ-001 & CQ-002
R & D Program – 5 scientists
- Previously, had faculty position in the Department of Nutritional Sciences at the University of Toronto;
- Pursued postdoctoral training examining the linkage between diet and cancer at Texas A&M University studying the role of omega-3 fatty acids and folate in colon cancer;
- To date, Dr. Ma has authored over 130 peer reviewed publications.
- Graduated as a companion animal veterinarian (DVM) from Ghent University, Belgium in 2005, completed her PhD focusing on nutritional modulation of carbohydrate metabolism in cats in 2009 and 2 additional years as a postdoctoral fellow;
Contacts & Networking